The BSSB is happy to announce that the building code changes to enable 20% better energy efficiency and provide an opt-in Zero Carbon Step Code (formerly known as the Carbon Pollution Standard) were signed by the Minister of Housing last week
- These Code changes take effect May 1, 2023. By that date, most new construction in BC must be 20% more energy efficient than base 2018 BC Building Code.
- The opt-in Zero Carbon Step Code will also be available for local governments to reference starting May 1, 2023.
- Read the amendment to the Building Act General Regulation online.
- Read a PDF convenience copy of the BC Building Code changes (for information only).
- The performance approach for Step 3 in Part 9 construction remains the default option. Local governments wishing to enable a prescriptive energy efficiency approach for Step 3 in Part 9 construction must pass a bylaw to enable that approach. This responds to feedback from rural or remote communities who wish to maintain a prescriptive-based option, while also meeting requests from other local governments wishing to retain the performance-based approach.
- Backup heat from wood stoves and decorative gas fireplaces will be excluded from GHG modelling in Part 9 buildings. This responds to feedback from communities that experience frequent power outages.
The Building and Safety Standards Branch will release more information in the coming weeks to support a smooth rollout of the change. Email [email protected] if you have questions.